Friday, June 21, 2013

The Best Medicine (Lessons from my Marriage, part 4)

In honor of our Ten Year Anniversary this month, I'm writing out lessons I've learned from being married to my man. 

I don't think I'm an expert on anything really (except maybe how to nurse a baby while chasing a two year old and never even breaking the baby's latch), but I do think that Derek and I have something pretty great. While much of our relationship is due to just being extremely compatible, our life is not perfect, we are not perfect, and I've had to learn some pretty hard lessons in my ten years thus far as a wife. 

 photo fakecakecuttingpic.jpg

(Our photographer double booked himself and so we had a fake cake cutting and a fake bouquet throwing before the reception. It was a very weird day.)

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.
Khalil Gibran


Derek and I laugh a lot with each other. We always have. It's a vital part of relationship. We make each other laugh, we like to joke and kid around. It's one of the things I value deeply. It might sound strange to say I value our joking around, but I do.

I can't imagine a life where we weren't laughing with each other. I wouldn't want a life without it. Finding joy and humor in things together helps us stay close. Some of my favorite memories in our marriage are of the two of us laughing at... who knows what? I just remember the laughter.

We laugh. We laugh to cope, to connect, to love, to live. We laugh.

And we're happy, even when it's hard.

Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...