Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tom Turkey Twenty Thirteen


I can't quite get over this picture. It's AWFUL and it's the very best I could get. Miriam was exhausted. The kids were desperate to move past being thankful and start eating the brownies we had as a Family Home Evening treat, and everyone kept being crazy.

But, the reality is, life aint perfect. So be it. All five are in the picture. 4/5 are looking in the general direction of the camera, only one kid is naked... I mean, I can't do much more than that, right?

If you aren't familiar with Tom Turkey, then see below, because we LOVE Tom, and he's just very important to our family.

Each year, we build his tail writing "thankful feathers" each evening, with things for which we are thankful on each feather. It's a grand tradition, and I get excited about dear old Tom starting mid-October. Thanksgiving is one of my most favorite holidays, not really because of the historical aspects (which are of course important), but because in our home, cultivating gratitude for our blessings is not some annual one-time-event. We are trying so hard to teach our children to be thankful each day, throughout the year. Tom helps us with this.

Anyway, I love it, I love reflecting on the amazing things God has done for our family!

And because it's tradition here is how we've grown over the years:
2012




2011



2010



2009 (The year Tom Turkey came to be!)

Photo

We are so blessed. I can not complain. I DO complain, but I shouldn't. My heart was filled with joy tonight as we discussed with our boys the things that we have been given.

God is so good.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...