Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A new fear

Someone needs to tell me why I thought running at 5:30 in the morning was a good idea.

It's not my back, or my toe that's bothering me.

No, it's not the huffing-puffing, near death experience that is me trying to exercise.

It's not the sweating or the bunching of clothing.

No, what I hate is the dark.

Yup, it's pitch-black outside. BEAUTIFUL, but dark.

And every single car that passes as me as I'm running to the rendezvous point to see meet my running buddies, I'm convinced is going to stop and steal me away.

It's not fun.

You might say, "Oh you're being irrational." But am I? I don't know.

If I get Morgan-napped, then you'd feel really awful now wouldn't you?

This morning, AFTER I had run with my crew and was heading home, it was still dark, and a car pulled right beside me and SLOWED DOWN!

PANIC!

Turns out he was just turning. But still, it scared the proverbial pants off of me.

As I'm puttering along (because what I do at this point CAN NOT be called "running") I think to myself, "How would I kick someone's arse, should they decide to try something?" Then I think, "Crap. I wish I had some pepper spray." But then I think, "There are lots of rocks about. I'll just gouge out his/her (but realistically his) eyes. Or scream and run."

Either way,  it's not fun.

There's no way around it either. I don't live NEAR enough to my running buddies to NOT spend SOME time alone.

And it's dark.

I don't like it.

I am SUCH a girl.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love to run! But not at the risk of being "kathleen-napped" as you say. I am a fan of running during the daylight....with the BOB stroller or while the husband watches the boys. Good luck with your running! Be safe and be smart!

Kathleen said...

not sure how you could manage a jogging stroller with 3 boys! Might have to get your oldest one running or bike riding first:)

Anna said...

could you drive to meet with your friends. I too am to paranoid to run in the dark by myself. I have a hard enough time when its light out.

BloggingBills said...

I'm with Anna about the driving to the rendezvous. Then you can run to your heart's or broken toe's content.
MA

Brian and Kelsey said...

Pepper Spray... A gun... keys between your fingers... one of those whistles that breaks ear drums and is really loud. Your phone ready to dial home or derek if you hit send... run with your hair down til you meet your friends. (its easier to grab you with a pony tail). If you can switch up your route each day or every little while. Some random person isn't likely to grab you. You'd have to catch their attention by running the same time same route every day so they could watch you and learn your habits then grab you...just a thought

Alisa said...

I hear you...running in the dark (alone) is pretty terrifying. We are girls, and proud of it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...