Thursday, January 26, 2012

Twins?

So this little womb-dweller of ours is a stinker!

When I went in to see the midwives (I see a hospital-based midwife group as my "back up" if a home birth doesn't work out for whatever reason) the first time a couple of weeks ago, I got a quick ultrasound to assure that there really was a baby in there.

And there was.

Then the sweet midwife said, "Hmmm. Do you normally keep weird things in your uterus?"

"Um, not usually. WHY?" I asked, wary.

"Well, I said there was only one in there, but that might not be true."

Guys, if I'd been standing, I would have needed to lie down. As it was, the room got a bit spinny.

Basically, there was a "twin-marker" but she couldn't find another baby.

"Ah, well. Come back in a month. We'll figure it out," said she.

I agreed, until I left. Then I realized a month was too long to sit and wonder how many people I had squatting in my uterus. Amazingly just as I was thinking that, the midwife called to say the doctor wanted to rule out twins immediately.

24 hours and a doctor-ordered very full bladder later (do not make a pregnant woman drink 32 oz of water an hour before her "appointment" and then make her wait an additional HOUR! I was uncomfortable to say the least) it was confirmed:

JUST ONE BABY.

I was surprised at how unspeakably relieved I was.

Twins would be wonderful, I'm sure. But as it stands, I'm going to have five children in less than 7 years. It's enough for now. One at a time is a nice deal.

So, now we've got just the one in there. (Confirmed again today after a scare. NOT fun.) So, we can move forward, with just the one.

I don't want to sound ungrateful. Twin would be a blessing. But so is just ONE baby at a time.

Good baby, way to have not split into two when you were just a blastocyst. Thank you, sweetheart.

:)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

:) I'm relieved with you, Morgan! :) Twins would be wonderful. But I'm so happy that they are coming one at a time for you so far. ;) I'm so excited for you!! :)

Lori said...

... that said, if anyone could handle 5 kids under the age of 7, I would put my money on YOU! :) You are such an amazing mom Morgan Hagey ... i have ALWAYS thought this.

Carolyn said...

Wow, I am relieved for you, too! :) Do you find out the gender soon?? YAY!

Mollie Sekikawa said...

You totally crack me up, and I'll give you a big fat AMEN to only one baby at a time!

Lisa B said...

Oh come on! You don't want to have twins with me? :) I can't believe she wanted you to wait a month to find out. Unaceptable.

Katz said...

lucky!

we got a two-fer. i love them to death, but my goodness, i'm exhausted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...