Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cinder-boys-a, Cinder-boys-a

So, I had an epiphany.

When I was Spencer's age, I helped around the house. I remember helping to do trash collection, and even have a memory of making pancakes.

When I was Henry's age, there are incriminating photos of me washing dishes topless. I helped around the house.

My children have certain chores. They do, really. Cleaning toys, helping clear their own dishes, feeding the dog, etc.

But when I was looking at the state of my house recently, about to tackle the ridiculously messy square-footage when I realized I hadn't made the mess. So why in the world should I clean it up?

Thus the new regime began. My children are perfectly capable of putting their laundry away. They can empty much/most of the dishwasher. They can wipe counter tops and scrub toilets, they can shine windows. My children (even Oliver) can be of assistance!

FABULOUS! They weren't too thrilled but I don't care.

I have a dream. That dream is that my daughters-in-law will worship at my feet because I raised their husbands. Their husbands who know how to wield a broom, run a dust cloth and vacuum like it's their job.

We are well on our way!
From June 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Morgan, you are right on. All kids need to learn this and do this. My kids have chores and have had them since they were 2. Small and simple things have built. And although my kids don't always like doing it, what they are learning matters more.

Keep up the good work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...