Monday, July 12, 2010

Event Planning 101

So this week I am anxiously engaged in getting a BABY SHOWER together.

This is a lot of pressure. In a good way of course.

See, in my former life (I have several of those, did you know?) I was a party planner.

I know. I know.

But seriously, one of my main jobs when I worked for a little performing arts center in Wisconsin was "event planner."

Dude. I HATED that job.

Here's why: I am not a good event planner.

I got good at it, but that is beside the point.

I am not a good event planner because I stress and stress and stress. And it is my life's mission to AVOID stressful situations.

Fight or flight? I choose flight 99% of the time.

Well, I would stress and plan, and work and stress and not sleep and stress.

And then in 4-6 hours (depending on the event) it was over.

Then I was forced to start immediately on the POST-event stuff, like thank you cards and follow-up reports.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

None of it was really "fun," which is, in reality, antithetical to PARTY PLANNING.

Did I ever tell you about the Bridal Fair I did WITH food poisoning?

No? I'll spare you.

SO, now I am party planning a baby shower, and to my IMMENSE surprise, I am enjoying myself.

Turns out, party planning on a small scale is 1. Fun and 2. Easy.

JOY!

So, come Wednesday, I'll be thrilled to be celebrating my sister's upcoming arrival and NOT stressed about thank you cards or follow-up reports, because those are HER job.

SCORE!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

You threw me an awesome bridal shower! You've got mad skills!

Braden Bell said...

This sounds very stressful. I hate planning parties!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...