Monday, September 16, 2013

And now for something completely different...



Today, I finished the first VERY VERY rough draft of a book Derek and I are working on together. It's about the myth of perfectionism within the LDS church. It's been a fascinating study, and I have learned SO SO SO much. I can't even begin to describe what an amazing adventure this has been.

You might have, if you're ever NOT on a mobile device seen the page link up under the header of this ol' blog called "Practicing Perfection". That link is the BLOG that goes along with the BOOK of the same working title.

Derek has graciously agreed to lend me his expertise to flush out the more "clinical" aspects of the book, regarding how to be mentally healthy and happy as an imperfect person. The whole book is about, basically, how it's OKAY not to be perfect. It has ideas on how to improve if you want, or need help, but all the while saying, "I am good enough."

So, anyway, yeah, this project has been occupying a HUGE part of my brain as of late, and I'm so excited for it to come together. It's going to just awesome, you guys. And if it helps anyone realize, "I'm a great version of me," then, well, I can't ask for more than that!


2 comments:

Brian and Kelsey said...

I am very excited for you! I read your posts on Practicing Perfection, and enjoy them. I have for many year, since college really thought, that we as LDS women do so much to make everyone around us think we are perfect. I remember once thinking as a Freshman in college, "Am I the only one who falls asleep before reading their scriptures." I was convinced that everyone around me never missed. Because we all sort of put on our best front. Never in a lesson or discussion of scripture study had I ever heard anyone say that they didn't read scriptures everyday. I've now seen just how this image of perfection can literally drive people from church. If someone around us is struggling and everyone around them apparently perfect it is discouraging. Part of lifting one another, sometimes involves showing our vulnerability and human nature. Okay I'm done this has been way too long of a comment. Sorry

Anonymous said...

Well that is exciting! I am new to your blog, but had to comment! I love the topic, love to hear what all your research showed you. I had a hard time when I lived in Utah with the feeling of perfection around every corner. Never felt insecure my entire life till moving there haha :) Back in the South now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...